Did you know Edgware is actually very old. Edgware is a Saxon name. It means “Ecgi’s weir”. Ecgi must have been a Saxon and the weir relates to a pond where Ecgi’s people would catch fish. Over many years the name slowly became Edgware.
Its centre has traditionally always been Edgwarebury Farm since at least 1216. Mostly forest until the 13th century the area was mixed agriculture until the end of 16th century. In the 17th century Edgware became a small market town due to the production of hay, and the selling of fattened cattle driven from other parts of England.
Edgware was associated with the highwayman Dick Turpin- the infamous scene of his worst incident, which happened on 4 February 1735, when five gang members, including Turpin, broke into a farmhouse owned by Joseph Lawrence, called Earlsbury Farm.
In 1932 the parish became a part of Hendon Urban District. The shopping district around Station Road developed to included a cinema, now demolished the site is now occupied by a mixed use development including a gym, apartments and shops.
Post war development was restricted by the Green Belt, sparing the Scratch Wood and Deacons Hill district apart from the M1 Motorway. By this time the population was more than 17,000. In 1939 the overground railway passenger service ceased to run, and goods traffic ceased by 1964. The site since 1990 has been occupied by The Broadwalk Centre Edgware, replacing the station pulled down in 1961
Take a look at this brilliant amateur video made in 2009 about Edgware and the Northern Line.Click here Further information. Edgwarebury and Broadfields Edgware